- Last Updated on Thursday, 07 November 2013 12:32
Tuning and The Final Results
I skipped Win7 completely and need to get acquainted with Win8 in order to tune the OS. As usual, it is so full of crap you don't want, it may take some time to get rid of the irrelevant parts of this OS.
Let's start with the tuning: The first step is of course to update the BIOS to recognize all the memory installed. This proved to be rather troublesome. Initially I had major difficulties to get the new system to start at all and I was fearing that my PSU was broken. Q-code errors stopped the booting process repeatedly, so I never got the BIOS screen. Checked and re-checked all the cables, reseated all the memory modules, etcetera.
Finally got the machine to start, but with only 48 GB of memory and two modules indicating ' Abnormal', so they were not recognized. To make a long story short, it boiled down to having to update the BIOS to the latest version by means of the EZ-flash utility and a USB stick. Then all my previous problems were solved and all 64 GB memory correctly recognized. I then proceeded to tune the BIOS settings, making sure that my first BD-R device was the first to boot from, and left the major parts at default settings. Stock speed.
Next I installed the Windows8-64 UK version, Enterprise edition build 9200. What a change, this Apps interface! Since Symantec Endpoint protection still has serious bugs with Win8, I was forced to use Windows Defender and Windows Firewall, disable automatic updates and change the display settings to reflect the new video card, so I downloaded and installed the current 310.64 display driver from nVidia. I removed the 'Theme' and put a black background in place and disabled various cosmetic enhancements from the new Windows. Next I reduced the page-file from 'system managed' on the C: drive to a fixed size of 1 GB, for the simple reason that Win8 requires a page-file on the C: drive for memory dumps in case of errors, so moving the pagefile to the D: drive was no solution. The next step was to remove the humongous 58 GB 'hiberfil.sys' file from the system, after having disabled all 'sleep' modes from the power save profiles. Use the following approach:
Go to cmd.exe as administrator and from the command prompt type in:
"powercfg.exe -h off" without the quotes and press enter. Then exit.
Next step is to remove all those Apps that only occupy disk space and have no business on an editing machine. Then modify the registry so automatic logon is enforced. The disappointing thing about this, is that it still takes around 90 seconds to boot the system from the moment I press the Power switch to the Apps interface to come ready. This is without any programs loading in the background, without any user interaction, just logging on to the domain and getting stuff ready.
Well, all the superfluous stuff has been removed, the background color has been changed, the shortcut arrows disabled and the first steps to overclocking have been taken. Currently running at 4.7 GHz CPU clock and DDR3-2180 and the temperatures appear OK.
Note that I have lowered the CPU VCore voltage from the default 1.40V when using a CPU ratio of 46, to only 1.32V to keep things cooler. Asus has always been known for increasing voltages far higher than required or even desirable, so that is why I opted for manual settings.
- Next >>